Please note that I supply the maps, but not the App to use them. To use the Memory-Map (qct) version of my maps on an iPhone/iPad you will need the Memory-Map App.
Setting up my maps with the Memory-Map App is a three stage process:-
- Install the Memory-Map App and check that works
- Install my free Droitwich Canals Map and check that works
- Install more of my free or paid-for maps
Installing the Memory-Map App
In this step we we will install the Memory-Map App and check that works.
Visit the App Store from your iPhone/iPad and install the Memory-Map App.
This comes with free sample maps. Make sure the Memory-Map App runs on your iPhone/iPad and displays the free maps. If you have any problems getting the Memory-Map App running then please seek support from Memory-Map who produce the App. The Memory-Map support pages are very helpful.
Only proceed to the next step when you have the Memory-Map App installed and working.
Installing my free Droitwich Canals Map
In this step we will install my free Droitwich Canals Map and check that works. Make sure you have completed the previous step and have the Memory-Map App installed and working first.
These instructions assume you will download my free Droitwich Canals Map to a computer, then transfer it to your iPhone/iPad through iTunes. It may be possible to download it directly to your iPhone/iPad and I would welcome feedback (and step by step instructions) from anyone who has achieved this.
Download my free Droitwich Canals Cruising Map in Memory-Map (qct) format to your computer and remember where you saved it.
Transfer my free Droitwich Canals Map to the Memory-Map App on your iPhone/iPad using the instructions on Memory-Map’s website. Apple make changes from time to time and Memory-Map have to make changes to meet Apple’s changed requirements. I have never used an iPhone/iPad so I cannot verify those instructions but a kind customer recently provided these steps:-
- Connect your iPhone/iPad to your Mac’s USB port. (i.e. by using the normal Lightning to USB charging cable.)
- Open a Finder window on your Mac.
- Click on the iPhone/iPad in the “Locations” area of the left side menu bar.
- In the details which appear on the right, select Files.
- Scroll down and click on the Memory-Map folder
- Copy your waterways .qct file to the Memory-Map folder (drag and drop)
- On your iOS device, in Memory-Maps, tap the Map Folder icon, select “Maps on Device” and “Maps everywhere” and then under Cruising, select the new file
- If you haven’t already got a Classic Maps licence it will prompt you to do so via iTunesStore
The previous instructions are shown below and I hope that the previous instructions, or those above will be helpful:-
- Connect your computer to your iPad/iPhone using iTunes
- On the computer, select the connected iPhone/iPad
- Click “Apps” and select Memory-Map from the list
- Click “Add File” and navigate to wherever you save my free Droitwich Canals Map
- Select the free Droitwich Canals Map (wr-41m2-droitwich-canals.qct)
- Click open and wait for the copying to complete
- Disconnect your iPhone/iPad and open the Memory-Map App on it
On the toolbar select the “Maps” Icon (a set of stacked squares) to bring up the map menu. Use the “Map Types” button to ensure type “Cruising” is ticked and use the “More Maps” button to select “All Maps on Device”.
You should now see my free Droitwich Canals map listed. All my map names start with “WR” (for Waterway Routes) so they will be near the end of an alphabetical list. Select the map and it will start to load.
Somewhere during the last few steps (it will vary depending on which version of the App you have) you will be asked to enable the “Classic Map Compatibility Option” and offered a free trial. Select the free trial.
You should now have my free Droitwich Canals map on screen and you can scroll around and zoom in and out in the usual way. If you are near Droitwich the GPS tracking will work too.
At the end of the free trial for the “Classic Map Compatibility” option you will be asked for payment if you wish to continue using the App. If you choose not to make payment then the App will no longer work with my maps. That payment is collected by Memory-Map to cover their costs for developing and supporting the App and none of it comes to me.
Using my free Droitwich Canals map with the free trial of the Classic Map Compatibility option in the Memory-Map App allows you to check you can get my maps working on your iPhone/iPad before you spend any money.
Please make sure you test my maps work on your iPhone/iPad and you can conquer the installation process. Only proceed to the next step when you have my free Droitwich Canals map working on your iPhone/iPad.
Installing more of my free or paid-for maps
Once you have the free Droitwich Canals map working on your iPhone/iPad you can repeat the previous step to install more maps.
There are free maps to download from my website for many restoration projects and there are paid-for maps for the open waterways.
I supply the maps and I will provide support for my maps in the unlikely event of any problems.
I do NOT supply the Memory-Map App. That comes from Memory-Map, through Apple’s App Store, and you must seek help from Memory-Map in the event of any problems with their App.
My free Droitwich Canals map and the free trial of the App allow you to check everything works before you spend any money. Please don’t pay for any maps on my website until you have checked they work on your iPhone/iPad.
I know very little about the workings of the Memory-Map App and I’ve never touched an iPhone so the instructions on this page were kindly written for me by a customer. Since then, another customer has said the following additional information may help
Connect iphone to itunes on pc
Select iphone icon
Select file sharing (this is what is different to the instructions on your website)
On the file sharing page
Select memory map in the apps list
Drag and drop your file into the document folder
Click add file